One of the briefs of our A2 media task is a film trailer. Combined with 2 of the following ancillary texts:
- A film magazine front cover
- Featuring the film poster for the film
- A website homepage for the film
Codes and conventions of film magazine front covers:
- Image– the image could reflect the audience, normally involves the main character
- Masthead– is a key feature in magazine covers; indicates what the magazine even is e.g. empire or vogue
- Banner– gives overall information about the magazine
Codes and conventions of film posters:
- Main image- this catches the audiences attention and help distinguish the genre of the film
- Main title– to give the audience the information they need
- Directors, actors and producers
- Taglines- Normally used to emphasise a point or something that will happen or take place in the film
Codes and conventions of website homepages of a film:
- Title, actors, images
- Varies depending on the theme and layout they choose
Codes and conventions of film trailers:
- Film title – shown to show what film it is and typically shown at the end of the trailer. Normally the font, colour and style establish the genre along with other conventions
- BBFC age certification– The age range is also normally shown towards the end of the trailer, this provides a guideline for their target audience.
- Character introduction- This essential in most film trailers like comedies. This pleasures the audience and feel in control of whats happening and connect with them.
- Music and voice overs- Music is a key feature in trailers which helps set the tone and the mood. Voice overs are also key in which it helps guide the audience through the film plot and characters
- Release date- The release date is shown on the trailers a couple weeks before the film is released giving time for a wide audience to have seen it, this grabs the readers attention.
Examples of real media trailers:
In my opinion this brief would be interesting to make and play around with. However I think this process would be too difficult to complete on my own, and with shortage of money I don’t feel I can make it look as effective and professional enough.